Monday, October 20, 2014

Emerging Writers {Mid-October}

In September, I wrote a bit about my plan for writing at the beginning of the year.  We finished the two packets mentioned in that post, and I was definitely ready to move into writing with this crew; they were ready!

I am being a little more flexible with my writing time this year and using more of a Writers Workshop model.  During each 2 week unit (prescribed by our curriculum), students have been creating little vocabulary books.  I put a list of words related to our theme in the center, and students write and illustrate at least 3 words in their vocabulary book.

I had a proud teacher moment when a student brought out her vocabulary book (with no prompting) and said to me "this says 'grandma', right?"  Everybody freeze!  Listen to what "N" just did... Those vocabulary books were flying out of the writing folders and suddenly everyone thought using the resources around the room was a great idea.

I wanted to share a few samples.

"I am going to play at the playground with my mom.  My mom love(s) me."

This was the kiddo with her vocabulary book.  Her sentence says: "Yesterday I went to my grandma's."
"I want to be a spaceman when I grow up."  This was inspired by their new "spaceman" they received to help them remember spaces in their writing.  He actually traced the top part of his spaceman to make the picture.  A spaceman is visible in the photo above.  I purchased them at Hobby Lobby for $3.99 for 24 (I used a 40% off coupon so they were even cheaper!)  The pack comes with 12 boys and 12 girls.

I'm so proud of their progress and their excitement for writing.  We received a IPEVO document camera through DonorsChoose.org, so my kiddos are pretty excited to be sharing their writing with their classmates on the SMARTboard.

How do you teach writing in your classroom?  What motivates your kiddos in writing?

2 comments:

  1. Hi Amanda! Isn't it great when a learning idea clicks with a kid... so heartwarming, and the reason we do what we do. My guys love spaceman, too, but I just draw him on their finger! I say their nail is the visor of his space helmet and draw a little smiley face on there. Parents tell me they don't ever want to wash him off :) Oh, and I just found a comment that you made about my blow-outable electronic birthday candles... that you wrote on my blog in JULY! I don't know how i missed it, but I published it now. Sorry! See you around! Kathleen Kidpeople Classroom

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hello! I love the idea of just drawing it on their finger. I'm sure it is very treasured! :) Thanks for stopping by!

      Amanda

      Delete