Tuesday, October 7, 2014

Applesauce, Yum!

Yesterday I wrote about our trip to the apple orchard on Sunday.  After picking apples, I told the kids we would be using some of the apples I picked to make applesauce.  So, applesauce day was yesterday.

I peel and core the apples at home. I also cut each apple into 8 slices.  This year, I tried soaking the slices in cold water with a bit of salt (thanks, Pinterest) then putting them in an airtight container in the refrigerator overnight.  No brown slices this morning!

The kiddos are responsible for cutting the apple slices into smaller chunks and dumping them into the crock pot.



We cooked our apples in the crock pot with cinnamon and a little bit of brown sugar all day, and our applesauce was finally ready when it was time to go home.  2 students wouldn't try it at all, but everyone else loved it.  They were pretty proud of their "cooking" today!  I love homemade applesauce, so this is a must try for me every year.

No comments:

Post a Comment