Tuesday, October 29, 2013

Silent Reading Smiles

I decided to give "silent" reading a try.  If you teach kindergarten, you know that reading at the beginning of the second nine weeks of kindergarten is far from silent!  We've been talking about saying those sounds, spelling that word aloud, looking at sounds we know, etc.

I know it is the first week of the 2nd quarter of kindergarten, but some of my kiddos are beginning to read and excitement is building.  Our day is very tightly scheduled, so I thought "why not?!"

We started yesterday, and it was a bit rough, but we made it through.  Today I told students I was going to read while they read.  This was in hopes that they would not be wanting to talk to me during that time.

We were about 30 seconds into our reading when (from across the room) I heard "Miss Hennon, what's the word on page 6."  After a little laugh out loud, I reminded my friend that we are all reading SILENTLY (or in a quiet whisper) and that I am not sure what his word on page 6 is.

This silent reading time ended with a little reminder of things we might do if we don't know a word. :)  I asked students to share something they read about with a partner and many were able to do this, so I'm feeling pretty good about day 2.  Going to be working on building stamina for some time I believe.

How is your week going?

No comments:

Post a Comment