Wednesday, April 24, 2013

Here Fishy, Fishy

We have been learning about fish and water.  One day, our vocabulary words for the day were "gills" and "fins".  Our manual instructed us to bring a fresh fish to school for students to touch (feeling the scales) and identify the gills and fish.  I don't eat fish and I don't generally "do" critters.  Needless to say, there was not going to be a fresh fish in my classroom if I could help it.  

I found the next best thing in my own home!  My dad caught this walleye many years ago (I was in elementary school). I have been grossed out by it since childhood, but you can definitely see the gills and fins, so it fit the bill.  This guy is currently hanging out in our building until the end of our unit.  Every child in my class can identify the parts of a fish and tell you their function.   Thanks Mr. Scary Fish!

I think the girl looking at the camera feels the same way I do about the fish! :)

No comments:

Post a Comment