Wednesday, July 11, 2012

Math Work Stations

I attended 4 great sessions again today, but I am going to focus on one in particular tonight.  It was the first one I attended today with Julie Brinkley, and it was about BUILD math centers.  These seemed like something I could easily implement as much as our new curriculum allows.

Some highlights...

This was created using squares of cardstock (or construction paper) and a Cricut.  I don't have a Cricut, so I'll be using the ellison.  There are holes punched and students string them together using link manipulatives.  So easy! :)


I apologize for the sideways picture...it looks right on my computer!  Each student painted a penguin.  At the bottom, it says "My penguin is _____ linking cubes tall."  These were bound into a book.



This guy was my favorite!  It is a "read and feed ball".  In his mouth were a variety of number sentences on individual slips of paper.  Students had to pull out a number sentence and solve the problem on a math mat using manipulatives.
The answer was written on the back of each problem.  She also uses these for reading.

After a full day of sessions, my family and I attended Cirque du Soleil "Mystere" (great show), and I went to the Teacher/Blogger Meet Up.  I was a very late arrival, but still got to meet some great ladies who have some amazing blogs (Kim & Megan from Kindergals, Deedee from Mrs. Wills Kindergarten, Fran from Kindergarten Crayons, Deanna from Mrs. Jump's Class, Aleesia from from Mrs. Albanese's Kindergarten Class, Kathleen from Growing Kinders, Cindy from For the Love of Kindergarten)  Everyone I missed, I'd love to meet you too!  Looking forward to attending some of their sessions in the coming days and meeting more awesome kindergarten teachers!

4 comments:

  1. Yay! I am so glad you got to meet them, too! :) I felt like Cheryl's session's grouping strategies would be really easy to implement. Thanks for being my 12:00 appointment!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Agreed! There was so much to write from the math one, so I had to save the others for another post. Although, this morning has brought a ton of new information too! I guess it will keep me going for a week or so!

      Delete
  2. It was so great meeting you Amanda! Thanks for joining me for dinner at Senor Frog! Even though it was crazy loud in there, we still managed to talk the whole time.
    I'm so glad to be a new follower!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Cindy! Hope this finds you at home safe and sound! I enjoy chatting with you this evening.

      Delete