Sunday, April 19, 2015

Worksheets Don't Build Dendrites {Chapters 14 & 15}

Kim and Megan from Kinder Gals are hosting the link up for Worksheets Don't Build Dendrites Chapters 14 & 15.  These chapters focus on Role Playing and Storytelling.

"As students involve their bodies in the comprehension of concepts and ideas through role plays and skits, they are able to understand the material in new ways." (Sprenger, 2007a)


My kiddos this year love Reader's Theater.  We have many of A Teeny Tiny Teacher's Reader's Theater packs. They are meant for 2 students to work together.  Each student's part is color-coded, making it easy for students to practice without me.

The Housekeeping/Dramatic Play center is one of my kiddos' favorites.  They love pretending to be grown-up.  It is a great play to include academic skills where they don't even realize they are learning along with their play.




I think areas where I could use more role playing are math and science.  We act out story problems when we first start doing them (and addition/subtraction) but why not more after that.  I'm not sure why I just kind of let it go by the wayside.  In science, we have used motions to learn things like the water cycle and have "acted out" the butterfly life cycle.  I know there are more ways we could incorporate role play here as well.  

How do you incorporate role play, drama and story telling in your classroom?

1 comment:

  1. I love reader's theater too! AND....love to see that "home living" area at work! Thanks for linking up!

    ReplyDelete