Wednesday, March 7, 2012

Making Words with Spring Flowers

On my way home from school today, my car said it was 65 degrees, and I am thinking spring!  We'll just skip those 30 degree temperatures later this week.  Another great idea from the Kindergarten Conference I attended last month is this flower word building activity.  On the center of the flower (flower spinner purchased from the Target Dollar Spot; flower pot from the Dollar Tree) is the -og rime and on each petal is an onset.  Children spin the flower and read the word made by the petal that stops in front of the rime.  In the picture below, they would read "hog".



My students have not used this yet, but inquiring minds wanted to know what it was and "when can we play with it?".  I think it will be a hit!  I made a recording sheet for students to use this activity at our word work station. You can download it by clicking on the picture below.


1 comment: