Monday, January 5, 2015

Back from Break

Today was our first day back from break.  It went really well!  Our nine weeks ends next week, so I got started with our "end of the nine weeks" assessments. Most of it is stuff I've been assessing throughout the nine weeks, just need to do some final checks and DRA.

I'm always on the lookout for ways to engage my kiddos while I work with guided reading groups.  I don't do Daily 5, but I do my own version of reading centers.  I'd like to try more components of Daily 5, so I decided to try some "read to someone" (partner reading).  We get National Geographic Young Explorer thanks to DonorsChoose.org.  I was getting organized this morning and realized I never used the November/December issue.

I decided this was perfect for them to try partner reading with.  They love their magazines, and their reading levels are a point that I think they will be able to get through most of it.  My hope is that they will get through 1 article in one-two days.  I made a little recording sheet to keep them accountable and help me see what words/items we need to go over as a class.  I'd love for you to have a copy too!  It is a freebie on TpT.


We are going to give this a try for the first time tomorrow, but I'll be sure to let you know how it goes.  How do you keep your kiddos learning and engaged during small groups?

1 comment: