Tuesday, December 24, 2013

Step-By-Step Model Magic Penguins

As promised in my penguin habitats post, here are step-by-step directions on how we created our Crayola Model Magic penguins.

Make an oval (but 3-D) out of a piece of white Model Magic.  I didn't measure this, but you can see a picture of the oval made below.  We also "squashed" it down a bit on the table so it would stand.  It is easiest when the bottom is flat at this point!


Spread a thin layer of black Model Magic down the back to make the back black.

Flatten some black Model Magic to create 2 flippers, one on each side.

Roll a ball of black Model Magic into a head.  This little guy's head is a little large, but that's the way the creator wanted it!

Poke a small piece of pipe cleaner into the head.  The pipe cleaner should just slide into the Model Magic.  To keep it in long-term, you might want to pull the pipe cleaner back out, put a little dot of glue in the hole, then put the pipe cleaner back in.

Put 2 small dots of glue on either side of the pipe cleaner.  Glue wiggly eyes to the head. My kiddos who made the examples decided to try to make some webbed feet with Model Magic.  You can see the feet in this photo.

There you have it; some good work by a group of kindergarten kiddos!  I hope you have found these helpful!

4 comments:

  1. These are adorable!! May you have a Merry Christmas!!! Smiles and stop by anytime!!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Amanda, I just found your blog today. Merry Christmas! I love these model penguins. There's a cute song by Jack Hartmann called "Penguin Dance" that you may want to use with your penguin unit. Stop by my blog anytime!

    Your latest follower,

    Sharon Dudley, NBCT
    Teaching with Sight

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for the Jack Hartmann song reminder! I saw him when I went to I Teach K 2 years ago, and he did the penguin song during the keynote. Looking forward to using it when we go back:)

      Amanda

      Delete