Friday, March 15, 2013

Five For Friday Linky Party {March 15}



I'm linking up with Kasey at Doodle Bugs for another week of Five For Friday.  Below are some random activities from my week.

We have spent the last 2 weeks learning about insects and spring.  My students love bugs!  At the art lab (center), we created insects using Crayola Model Magic, pipe cleaners and wiggle eyes.  So cute!



To go with our insect theme, we have an AntWorks ant farm in our room.  My kiddos are so intrigued by these little critters.



We also have a "life size" ant farm using a stove box and a play tunnel.  The kiddos are the ants.  The little guy below is inside the farm examining a drawing of an ant farm.




We have been trying different behavior techniques to combat talkative kiddos and the need to keep their little bodies busy.  This week we tried allowing them to take their shoes off with the following conditions: 1) You must be able to put your own shoes back on (including tying them).  2) You must have socks on your feet.  3) You need to put your shoes back on to leave the room (restoom, specials, lunch, etc)  After 3 days, it has provided one less thing for the kids to play with on the carpet, and they seem to enjoy the choice of having them on or off.  I'm hoping it will encourage few more kiddos to learn to tie their shoes too! :)


Tomorrow my kiddos and their families have the opportunity to meet me at a science center about 45 minutes from our school.  We are going on a Saturday to hopefully allow more families to participate.  Thanks to DonorsChoose.org, one adult and one child admission per family were paid for!  More on the science center after our trip tomorrow.

What creative behavior modification strategies or classroom management ideas have you found to be effective?

Have a great weekend!  Happy Spring Break to those of you on break (We get Friday before and Monday after Easter)!

4 comments:

  1. I L-O-V-E your idea for the shoes!! I do hope it will motivate my kids too! I'm definitely trying that next week!

    Molly
    Lucky to Be in First

    ReplyDelete
  2. I personally HATE shoes :) I allow my 4th graders to take their shoes off as well, except after recess...yuck!

    What a great Donorschoose project! Have fun!

    Jess

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm glad to hear that someone else does this! A few parents that I talked to thought it was a bit strange. I think "I don't wear shoes at home, so they should have the opportunity to not wear them at school if they choose too " (within some limits!). Thanks for commenting.

      Amanda

      Delete