Thursday, January 21, 2016

Five for Friday {January 22}

I'm linking up with Kasey from Doodle Bugs Teaching for Five for Friday.  Mark your calendars, folks, this is two weeks in a row I've had it together to get this post up!


This week I wanted to share 5 "things kindergarten kids say".  These things entertain me on a daily basis.  My kiddos always keep me on my toes, but they also make each day interesting and so much fun.


We learned about space this week. During writing time, this conversation occurred:

Student: "Miss Hennon, I think the sun is really important."

Me: "I would agree."

Student: "It is because according to this book (pulls book from center), the sun gives us heat and light.  I think I am going to ask my parents to take me to the library to get some more books about space."



We were  filling in a blank on our space book, and a student said to me:  "I know what this is called!  We are going to use context clues to figure out what goes in the blank."  We use an online program, and he had a lesson about context clues.  I was a bit shocked when he used it in the context of the day.





While working on measurement in math with my student teacher, they were pouring water into different containers and talking about how it is still the same about of water.

Student Teacher: "Do you see how they are both filled to the 2nd line?  This means they are equal."

Student 1: "Well, technically this one is a little below the line so they aren't actually equal."

Student 2: Woah, that was a big word."


At the dramatic play center, students helped us make a cardboard box rocket.  I have a little astronaut play outfit with a helmet and some "moon sand" (kinetic sand) out for them to use after they "land on the moon."  One little guy said "So, how do I get the rocket to take me to the moon?"  We had a little chat about using our imagination.  I think he was a little disappointed, but enjoyed playing there once his imagination kicked in.




It was snowing huge, beautiful snowflakes on Wednesday.  They were the hot topic of my math lesson (and not at all related to my math lesson).  After finishing math, I decided to do one of my favorite winter activities: taking a closer look at snowflakes.  In partners, students take a black piece of paper and magnifying glass outside as the snow is falling.  One partner collects snow (falling from the sky) on their black paper while the other uses the magnifying glass to take a closer look at the snowflakes.  After examining some snowflakes, we catch some with our mouths.  My favorite quotes: "This is awesome." "Wow, this is so cool." "I caught one up my nose." "I caught one on my hand but it melted before you could see it."

6 comments:

  1. I love your space book! Fun times out in the snow learning! Have a great weekend!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks! My kiddos love them too. :) Enjoy your weekend!

      Delete
  2. I love the students quotes that you share to show your week. Makes me want to listen to my students more :-)

    Heather
    The Land of I Can

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. They certainly make me want to hear more! It is always interesting to hear how their little minds work. Have a great weekend!

      Delete
  3. What great conversation!! So much fun to catch these little clips! Love it

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks! One never knows what might be said next; they keep me thinking and on my toes! Hope you enjoyed your weekend!

      Delete