Thursday, May 3, 2012

Blogging Success!

When I started this blog a few months ago, I mentioned that my students have had their own blogs since October.  Since this was my first experience with blogging and the website Weebly, there was definitely a learning curve!

We started out with students dictating to me what they wanted to say once a week and I would type it in for them.  This took me about 2.5 hours to get through the whole class.  We blogged during centers with the help of local college students. 

Our blogging then moved to students dictating content, and I wrote their ideas out on a dry erase board.  Students then typed their content into their own blogs.  This cut down on the time a bit because I could do multiple children at one time. 

Today I tried what I thought might be the impossible: my whole class blogging at the same time.  The most I have done at one time is 5, so I wasn't sure what this might look like.  We went on a field trip this morning, and I wanted them to write about it when it was fresh in their minds.  So, we made a list of things we saw on our field trip on chart paper.  Students were partnered so that they could help one another make sure their sentences made sense and share an iPad to blog.  I gave each student a dry erase board and marker and gave them the task of writing about the things they enjoyed on our trip.  After writing out their sentences, students helped one another log in to their blog accounts and type their sentences into the blogs.  You could have heard a pin drop!  They were awesome!!!  I was so impressed with their ability to work together and help one another get their blogs completed.

With only a few weeks of school left, they seem so grown up from where we started.  The things that they can now do independently amaze me everyday.  So proud :).

No comments:

Post a Comment