Tuesday, January 10, 2017

Art for All

Happy 2017, everyone!  I wanted to share a few art projects we did when we were learning about art and artists.  Throughout the week we did a variety of projects in a variety of styles.

I found this YouTube channel with videos about many famous artists.  They loved watching a video before doing artwork by each artist we were studying.

At the art center, the kids used pointillism to paint a tree.  This was just before Christmas, though you could make evergreen trees and paint snow on them as well.  I printed 3 different types of evergreen tree clipart on white card stock.  Students used a Q-Tip to paint dots to cover the tree.  After they dried, students went back with colors and added ornaments and other details.  The majority of the kids really got into the pointillism aspect and used dots to cover their trees.  Others tried to use their Q-Tip as a paintbrush, which did not have the same affect.

They were very observant about pointillism and Georges Seurat.  I had some art books at the library and every child who visited there had to bring books to show me pointillism, not because I asked them too, but because they were so excited to share this with me.


Another project we did was based on Paul Klee's style.  Students were given squares and rectangles as well as a 5x7 sheet of black construction paper.  They could cut the squares to make triangles or skinny rectangles.  Their goal was to cover the paper.



Our third project was Andy Warhol-inspired.  I cut mittens on the Ellison and brightly colored construction paper into quarters.  They chose 4 different colors of paper quarters to glue onto a 9x12 piece of construction paper.  They then chose 4 mittens and decorated them with construction paper crayons.  Each mitten was glued to a paper quarter.  I chose to use warm colors for the paper quarters and cool colors for the mittens, but that is personal preference.


The kids' favorite project of the week was doing art like Michelangelo.  I taped a 9x12 piece of white construction paper on the table for each child while they were at lunch.  When they came back, we watched the YouTube video (links above) about Michelangelo.  I sent them to stand behind their seats and told them we were ready to get started.  I passed out oil pastels (I didn't want paint dripping in their faces, on their clothes or all over my carpet) and told them we could get to work.  They looked a bit puzzled.  I said "Oh, you need paper.  It is under the table".  

They were on their backs on the floor under their chairs.  Every 2 kids shared a set of oil pastels.  I asked them to make a seasonal scene from a season of their choice.  It was so interesting to watch them figure out how to draw while laying down on their backs.  For some of them, the space from the floor to the bottom of the table was a stretch.  



Every week in my newsletter I ask a question to review a skill or get family opinions.  The week after this unit, I asked parents to ask their child which was their favorite.  Only 2 kids didn't choose the Michelangelo as their favorite.  I will absolutely do that project again!

I hope this gave you a few ideas to try with your students.  Have a great week!

12 comments:

  1. Absolutely fantastic job you have done here. And Thank you for sharing with us

    ReplyDelete
  2. Usually I never comment on blogs but your article is so convincing that I never stop myself to say something about it. You’re doing a great job Man,Keep it up. almonds bad for dogs

    ReplyDelete